Monday, July 14, 2008

Being Grown Up Isn't Half As Fun As Growing Up

After work today, I stopped by the grocery store to get some replacement Ben and Jerry's. For those of you who know me well, you know I have a weak spot for their cinnamon bun and half-baked flavored ice creams. I really don't care for any other types of ice cream (at the moment), and what I hate more than anything is ice cream by the gallon because of the way it ices up after one use. I hate icey ice cream (imagine that!) and more than icey ice cream, I hate when my ice cream disappears.

You know this story too well. Someone in your household gets a hankering for something you adore in the cabinet of your kitchen, or the freezer, and when you get hungry for it, you go looking and find out that it's not available anymore. You stomp madly around the house, questioning and quizzing every member of the residence, grilling them for details on the said missing item, and come up empty handed. Empty handed, that is, until your mom (or dad) gets home.

In my case, it's mom. I come home from a long day at the office, I am mid way through the day between lunch and dinner, and I get hungry for my Ben and Jerry's. I step to the freezer only to find the empty crevasse where my ice cream used to be. I can feel my nostrils flaring, my eyes glowing red. Only time will tell how much longer I can go, knowing that mom has once again consumed my heart's one earthly pleasure of that moment before I could even think about retrieving it.

When I am finally able to ask her about it, I try to maintain a calm report.

  • "So... mom. I noticed my Ben and Jerry's is missing."
  • "Is it?... Oh yeah, I ate it."
  • :silence: "...WHY."
  • "There wasn't much left."
  • "That's not the point. I wanted it! AND you ate ALL of my full one!!!"
  • "Did I?"
  • "ARRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!" :plates clanking and crashing to the ground, dog howling, refrigerator tips, end scene:
Ok... so maybe that wasn't entirely the truth of how this scenario played out, but you now have some idea of how PISSED I get when something I really want to eat comes up missing. Especially when it's like... 11PM, I'm in no mood to get dressed and drive to Wal-Mart or Fry's just to get ice cream.

The part that is worst about this betrayal of my sweet taste buds is that my mom complains constantly about her weight, she's not happy with this area of her body, blablabla... How about this? How about you stop consuming three days' worth your daily value of fat in 20 minutes?!? I say that's a step in the right direction. I mean God! Really? And it's not like my mom is even in bad shape, but when she is always complaining, and then eats the way she does? It's not right.

This battle does not limit itself to ice cream, no. Yogurts, soda, chip variations, snack items (such as these tasty Oreo Cakesters that I'll have to hide cleverly in my room)... you name it, she will devour it. And I wouldn't even care so much if she would at least as me if she could eat all of the, or maybe even replace what she eats, but she doesn't. And I think I have a right to be upset about it despite the fact that she houses me, buys a majority of the groceries, etc... when it's things that I buy specifically for my own consumption, with my own money, that were not originally someone else's, I think I have a right to get mad.

I don't care too much if anyone agrees, but if you hear an amen for other people eating your snacks, let me have it. Now I have to go to VBS, which I'm already not too sure was such a good idea. Not because of the event, but because of certain people :sigh: I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it for the Kingdom!

Blessings, bbz.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I hear ya.

I have been roomie shopping for when I move to des moines next month and one girl said that everyone is allowed to eat whatever is in the fridge. That's when I had to say.... ya, that's not going to happen. When I put food in that fride, I want it for me, not all the other people in the house.


And ben & jerry's fish food is SO good!

Brandy said...

Mmmmm...ice cream. My current flavor from Ben & Jerry's is American Dream Cone. YUMMY! Phooey to mom for eating the ice cream.
Hooray for VBS! :)

Do you think it is possible to fall in love with the wrong person?