Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Future at Large

Well, as usual, it's been a while. Since last time, I've graduated from ASU, lost my job at Black Angus to the recession and gained a job at Oregano's to my betterment. I've never felt like such a great food server as I do there. The standards are much higher, the guests are a lot more fun, and the money is GREAT. Don't get me wrong, I miss my BA, but home girl got bills to pay.

Ah yes, bills. The tell-tale sign that you are growing up is when you owe your hard earned cash to "the man." If I could do it again, I would definitely refrain from getting more than one credit card, but credit has definitely saved my butt when it comes to school. I've had to put almost all my books on credit cards for the last three years of my undergrad. That's easily $1000 right there. Then there's all the work I've had done on my truck, and probably some unnecessary purchases peppered throughout, but let's face it: if it wasn't for credit, I'd be a completely different person going to community college and still not sure what I want to do with my life.

I think I've figured out what I want to do with my life. With any luck, me and Lauren will be moving to California next summer. In fall 2010 I'll begin my certification to become a teacher at CSU San Marcos. With absolutely every fiber of my being, I am determined to end up in California. The sheer fact that Lauren casually mentioned in conversation whether I would need a roommate makes me certain this is supposed to happen. It wasn't a reality until last weekend. And I just don't think it's a coincidence that at the same time our friendship is strengthening, she reveals to me that she too would like to be in California as well. It's a dream that's coming true, and I could not possibly be more stoked.

The thing of it is, had I been smart my senior year of high school, I would have made my way out of Arizona then for my 4 years of undergrad because I get grants for school anyway. But... I wouldn't have made the friends I have or accomplished the feats I have accomplished, necessarily, if I hadn't stayed here.

The main reason I started this blog though was to express my anger over the fact that my dad is already giving me the whole "Teachers don't make any money" lecture, telling me I need to get out of education and "go for my PhD." He doesn't respect my choice of profession. That's a given. My feelings are that it is a selfish notion on his part because he thinks that his last hope for living large is for me to get into a high paying profession, then with MY earnings, house, clothe and feed him... because he's my dad, and apparently that's MY job, because he hasn't been able to successfully and persistently do this on his own his entire life. I am fully supportive of taking care of our parents as they age, but not because they simply don't want to take care of themselves anymore. I don't forsee this being a problem with my mom, but I'm almost certain my dad's mindset is looking at me seeing dollar signs. Unfortunate, but true.

I don't know. Maybe he's right. But if I was really going to spend my life worrying about how big of a house I'll end up living in... I'd have become a doctor or a lawyer or a buisness person. My intention has always been that whatever profession I pursue, it will be one to help the people, benefit the public. I mean, my degree is in liberal arts after all. But I am super pissed that my dad thinks he can dictate what I do with my future when he has contributed little to nothing to my education thus far. Help me figure that one out.

1 comment:

breanna said...

I'm telling you right now...teaching takes over your life! This is a good thing though. The physical and mental stress is taxing, but when that student you've been trying to get through to all year says "Thanks for all you've done for me this year" on the last day of school, it all becomes worth it! Much <3

Do you think it is possible to fall in love with the wrong person?