Friday, June 6, 2008

7

I don't want to pay $4/gallon more than anyone else does. But people, really. You have to buy gas. You need it. I need it... and it's not doing anyone any good to sit around and complain about it. This may make the summer thoroughly deplorable, foiling any and all of our plans to drive out of state (or even in state) for vacation; in most cases it looks like it is cheaper to fly to California than to drive there. That definitely sucks.

The other night... Wednesday... I filled up my gas tank, and it cost me $43.50. I had given the cashier $50 and I only got $6.50 change!!!? Not cool. So what did I do? I coasted to Nielsen's next door (without stepping on the gas at all) and afterwards, upon pulling into my neighborhood, coasted home (again without stepping on the gas). Did it take a little longer? Yes. Did I save gas? You betcha. My other favorite gas saving adventure is the one where I took the bus to work yesterday. That's right. Did I save gas?? OH YEA. I mean granted it is kind of inconvenient for the trip to work that usually takes me 8 minutes to take 20 minutes, but I didn't have to drive, didn't have to pay attention to the road, etc... It was pretty good. The trip home was something different. The bus was crowded and there were stinky people on it (undoubtedly the result of having waited for the bus when it's 160 degrees outside). And I probably smelled like steak haha so whatever.

The trip home, although I didn't pay much attention to my clock (because with the bus, it's like, you will get there eventually; not quickly, but at some point, you will be home), but... I am approximating that the trip home took about half an hour. This can be attributed to all the stops made between Alma School and Gilbert on Southern, and that's not counting the ten minutes it took me to walk home from the bus stop. I also had to jaywalk to get across the street into my neighborhood. I'm not a big fan of that, but when I'm wearing all black and it's that hot outside, you can bet that I'm going to take all the shortcuts I can think of.

So I'm proud of myself for making an effort to conserve the 12 gallons of gas that are in my car, and attempting to make them last AT LEAST a week, if not more. When I lived at ASU, I was only filling up my car about every month. Those were the days!

I just remembered that I have to find out how soon the offer for priority parking by PV East expires, so I'm going to do that now. Today I hope to swim and clean some more of my room I guess? I don't like being off work, but this will give me more time to study for the GRE! Which is going famously by the way. I'm really liking the book that I'm studying and it's not feeling overwhelming (yet). The verbal section, though, I can already tell is going to dominate me.

2 comments:

JD said...

There are a handful of credit cards out there that give you 5% cash back on gas (and other stuff, depending on the card). Assuming gas is $4.00 a gallon, people with these cards are only paying $3.80. I take solace in the fact that as the gas price gets higher, I'm paying an increasing amount LESS than everyone else. :-)

That being said, after adding on a car wash, my Chevron bill was $70 last night. Ugh!

Kim & Max Willis family said...

Hey did you try calling me last week for a hair cut??? call me agin if you need one! sorry!! its been crazy at my house!!

Do you think it is possible to fall in love with the wrong person?